Life is Grand!!!

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Grandma's, Gotta Love Them!

Okay, my dad's mom is crazy. She loves to guilt trip her family, but what g-ma doesn't?

She always wants to host family functions, even if others have volunteered. Grandpa and she decided to buy a house in Hilliard, a street away from their fav son and family. The rest of us have to drive the 40 min to get to her house! We are so tired of going through this with each get together. But if we speak up, we get hassled.

This year, my sis wants C-mas at her townhouse. She was so excited to finally move out of our parents house and into a home of her own. She just wants to show it off to the side of the family who hasn't seen it yet. She also is a very loving person who wants to entertain the people she loves. It would mean a lot to her to have C-mas at her house, but grandma wants to have it at her house, of course.

It was agreed to have C-mas at my sister's house, but this morning my g-ma emailed my sis asking her why she couldn't have it. My grandma went on and on about the reasons why my sister shouldn't host it. As my sis was emailing her back to say that she still wanted to have it, the rest of the family got this email:

Hi All:
I talked to ___(my sis) this morning and she agreed with me that it was okay to have Christmas here at our home. We will have it on Monday, December 27 between 6:00 and 6:30 PM. Please bring a snack type food. I will have cookies/fudge, plus something to drink. Hope you can all come. Have a good day!
Love,
Mom and Dad
Grandma and Grandpa


This is total crap!!! My sis never agreed to this! Why is my grandma doing this? Why can't she let someone else be in charge this year? Is it silly for me to be mad?

2
Blogger loelsh said...

I don't think it is silly of you at all to be mad. In fact if it was me, I would refuse to go to hilliard. I would speak up and say, ya know what, it's someones else's turn to take the 40 minute drive on christmas. If you don't like it, fine, I won't be there. But that's just me. I wouldn't care if she got mad at me either. If she's going to act like a child about it then treat her like one. JMO

December 11, 2004 3:36 PM

 
Blogger A Woman From Illinois said...

Sounds like Grandma and my MIL are related. Always wanting to be in charge, the Matriarch of the family. I would also be upset. How is your sister taking it? We will drive 2 hrs on Christmas to visit my side of the family this year. We use to do both sides every holiday, but that got old about 18 years ago. One year is his side, next year is my side.

And I think it would be ok to stay home that day. You can tell everyone that your sis did not agree to this, but that may cause other problems. If it were me, I would just say I had other plans that evening. Tell them you will miss them and that you love them, but your plans can not be changed.

December 11, 2004 11:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home