Life is Grand!!!

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Quixtar

Okay, I need to start this up with a little back story. My dad is a police officer who does special duty at a bank here in Columbus. He became good friends with one of the ladies who works in the bank. He found out that she had her own business on the side and was looking for people to work for her. For some strange reason, he gave her my name and number! He thought I was looking for more work/another job to add on to the three (paying) jobs I already have. Fine, whatever dad, but he didn't even tell me that he did this. So, she calls up and I have no clue what she is talking about or who she is. I end the conversation quickly and call my dad up to give him a piece of my mind. He said that he will always be watching out for me and he thought this would be perfect for me. Like I said, whatever dad!

Well, this lady calls me back a week later and tells me a little bit about her computer business. I was intrigued, so we set up a meeting together. I thought my sis would be interested too, so I invited her to come along.

We meet for coffee at B & N where instead of explaining what she does, she talks about why a person should have their own business. After 20 minutes, she finally explains what she does, but never mentions the name of the business. I just happened to guess that she was talking about Quixtar.

A few years back, the hubby and I had a similar meeting with people in this business so that is why I knew (after the 20 min of her business ownership talk) what she was trying to sell to my sis and me. She wanted us to set up another meeting with her people for us to get even more info about this crazy company. In case you didn't know, Quixtar is a big online/catalog store who rewards you if you buy from them. You get money back by buying their expensive crap. If you get other people to do the same, you get more money. See how the pyramid works?

What I want to know is why couldn't she say that she worked for Quixtar in the first place? Why did she say that she had computer business (on the phone), but not mention the true name of her company? I even asked her what the name was and all she gave me the name of her Columbus co-op. How nice of her! If I would have known up front that it was Quixtar, I wouldn't have wasted my time meeting/talking to her.

If that's not bad enough, I went back to the same store last night and another Quixtar representative came up to me. It started off as I passed her in an isle and she smiled at me. I went to the Christian paperback section and she followed. As I was looking at the titles, she asked me to suggest a book for her to read. I made a few suggestions and then she got me talking, which is hard to do. I tend to be reserved in front of strangers. Anyway, we got to talking and she asked me what I do and for some reason I told her. Then she told me what she and her husband does for a living. She said that she was in investments and marketing and told me that she was interested in expanding her business to include yours truly. She went on to ask me if I wanted to go talk for about 20 min over coffee so she could explain this further.

What crap!!! I asked her if she worked for Quixtar and she fessed up to it. I told her my problems with the company and she finally left me alone being satisfied that I was not interested.

I felt so used! For someone to follow me in a store, then pretend to be interested in the same books as me just to strike up a conversation to sell a business is so wrong. I hate this company and I don't think I will ever go to B&N again. The store seems to be a gathering place for these people and I don't want another wacko to come up to me and try to sell me Quixtar!

Here is a great article talking about the true self of the company. Although it is long, it is a good read. If that article peaked you interest in the down side of the company, here is a website devoted to the truth about Quixtar and similar companies. Have fun reading!

1
Blogger A Woman From Illinois said...

We belonged to Quixtar for a year. Yes you can make money, but you have to spend money and lots of time trying to get others to sign up. If you don't succeed then your sponsers quickly stop supporting you. My opinion is that it was a waste of my time and money.

December 09, 2004 7:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home