Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Potty Training Time

A time comes in every child's life where he or she learns how to not crap in their pants. The time is now for my two year old son. I have been to lazy or to busy to train him in the past, but I think he is old enough now to learn. I love just being able to change him and not having worry about trying to take him to the bathroom so that he doesn't wet himself. Doesn't sound like good times to me!

I also wanted his dad to help me since they have the same plumbing. This Saturday is the perfect day to begin since there is no OSU game. We are going to use Dr. Phil's training method and if we do it correctly, then it should take just a day. Dr. Phil is the man! He actually went into a home of a mother had been attempting to potty train her four year old son for a year and a half. The doc went in and trained the boy that day! From that day on the child hasn't worn a single diaper. He is completely trained to use the potty. We plan to do the same thing for my son. No, we are not bringing Dr.P personally to our home, just his advice. You should check it out here.

Do you have any personal experience with potty training a toddler? Please leave your story or even some helpful advice for my hubby and I to use this Saturday. If it's not to much trouble, please keep me in your prayers. I need plenty of patience and sanity this Saturday and the weeks to follow. Life is grand!

6
Blogger loelsh said...

Just keep in mind that the boy from Dr. Phil was 4 years old and not 2 and a half, and his mother had already been working with him for quite a while on it. So he already had the idea in his head. I wish you the best in this new and exciting adventure!! Just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen in 1 day. These things usually don't happen overnight, but here's hoping it does for you. Won't be too long before I'll have to do the whole potty training thing again. This will be a completely new experience for me since I'll be training a boy this time. Oh the joys of parenting!!

September 21, 2004 8:07 PM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

BTW...Potty training is grand! heehee
Lo

September 21, 2004 9:22 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Hey, do you think it is to soon to start potty training him? I know the girls were what, three before they were completely trained? The last thing I want to do is rush the boy. I don't really want to start so soon, but I feel as though I should. Honestly, too soon?

September 21, 2004 9:53 PM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

No, it's not too soon. The girls were completely potty trained by 3. By 2 1/2, they were both using the potty for #1. The most difficult problem was convincing them that going #2 in the potty was WAY better than #2 in their pants.

We're no Dr. Phil, but it went in stages for both of them. Of course, we didn't spend a day to do it either.

September 22, 2004 6:40 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

DOGGONE IT! That last comment was mine. I just didn't sign Lo out first.

Guru

September 22, 2004 6:42 AM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

No, I don't think it's too early. In fact I think it's a good time to start. He's old enough now that he can control those muscles and recognise when he needs to go. I am no expert, but I have successfully potty trained 2 children by the time they were each 3. By their 3rd birthdays, neither one of them were still having accidents. And like Guru said, it will most likely take longer for him to be completely trained going #2. But I don't think it should take long for him to get #1 down. He's a bright boy. He can do it!!!

September 23, 2004 5:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home