Life is Grand!!!

Saturday, October 09, 2004

Do Opposites Attract?

I was talking with my hubby tonight about us being opposites. He said something I didn't agree with, and I told him that it was another way that we were different. He gave me the line that opposites attract because it makes things interesting. This might be true, but it is also what causes divorces. How can you live with someone who doesn't share any interests or beliefs as you?

He asked me what we did have in common and I told him it is our son. Our boy is our common thread. He is the thing that pulls us together. We both love him very much and would do anything for him.

I found an interesting article about this subject. Please read and tell me what you think? Do you think opposites really attract? If so, why?

3
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True opposites may attract. A preppy rich girl may be interested in a "bad boy". But, that is not what marriages or long term relationships are made of. Those are the ingredients for a quick fling, not a marathon marriage.

It is good that you and your husband see your child as something in common. Maybe that means that you will stay together for him.

Unless you find things in common, though, over the rest of his time at home, you could be heading for a separation once he is grown. In an empty nest, with no one but each other around and no child as a destraction, that could be a recipe for divorce.

October 09, 2004 6:51 AM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

I often wonder this about my own life. My hubby and I don't have any common interrests. We have our kids, and we do share religious and political beliefs, but as far as us enjoying the same things, we don't. But 6 years ago, I made a promise in front of my family, friends, and most importantly, GOD, that I would stay married to this man until death. As difficult as that is sometimes, for both of us, we know that divorce is NOT an option for us. (that is unless he cheats on me, that would be the ONLY reason!) But you just have to find a way to work out your differences. Make an effort to do things that the other likes to do and take turns. Who knows, eventually you may end up enjoying something that you never thought you would. Try not to be so judgemental of the other person and take into consideration the way they were brought up. Things that are in the past and cannot be changed. There are some things that you will never be able to change about your spouse, no matter how much you want to. No relationship is ever going to be absolutely flawless! Accept that fact and live your life the best way that you can. And just love your spouse for who he is, even the little things that annoy you the most. Just think about what your life would be like without him if something were to ever happen to him. I don't have anything in common with my hubby, but I would surely miss him if he were'nt around.

October 09, 2004 11:20 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks for the advice! I think it's funny how G and I have the same type of background(christian home, always in church), but we are opposites. I had a friend in high school who grew up in a completely different home life than my own, but we had all the same interests and beliefs.

Why does it work that way? Why do opposites end up together if they know they don't have anything in common? Maybe it is because people would rather spend their life working it out with their opposite than to be with no one(alone).

October 09, 2004 1:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home