Life is Grand!!!

Sunday, July 24, 2005

The Autistic Child

As requested by Nic, here is an update about the autistic boy I watch:

He was doing much better last week. His parents were given a piano by a neighbor and now the boy bangs on it when he gets upset. It seems to help! The piano gets his mind off of whatever he is stemming on.

Another thing that has helped has been cutting back on the red dye that he ingests. His teacher at his summer program found out that when he gave the boy fruit punch, that he has off days. So, by not giving the boy red punch or red cereal, he has become a better behaved boy! It's weird! But I guess every little bit helps.

The boy has one more week left in his summer stack program, then he is home all day for three weeks! This will not be good since this will change his routine. He does so well in a schedule and I don't know how he is going to handle being home with one of us three care providers. His mom has put together a daily schedule, but it just not the same as school.

And last week I found out that his parents don't want me watching the boy on Thursday evenings anymore. I haven't since summer started, but I did all last school year. But I'm not working it since his parents want to spend more time with the boy. So, I will only be watching him two mornings out of the week. I was originally going to have my sister take a morning for me(to help with my home schedule and for her income), but the boy's mom wants me to work it. She has a problem with my sister's attitude/behavior in the morning. My sis is def not a morning person, and tends to show it...and I don't know how to tell her. It will just hurt her feelings, but she needs to know. As it is she has to get a new job since her provider hours are going down to zero this school year! Like I said, I was hoping to give her a few hours in the morning, but that's just not going to happen.

Btw, as of right now, there is no plans to send the autistic boy to a special home. He is doing much better at home(with a piano and no red dye) and I hope he stays calm enough to be right where he belongs...with his loving parents!

Life is grand with your prayers!!!

9
Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe you could explain to your sister that it would be in the boys interest to have only one person looking after him instead of two, less confusing for him with a more set routine. glad to hear he is making some progress.

July 24, 2005 7:56 PM

 
Blogger Nic said...

Trinity, thank you so much for the update. I've had some friends who have been praying for this family after I told them what was going on asking me how things were going for them. Bless you for being so caring and so willing to ask others out there for prayers for them. You're a class act and that family (as well as your own) is blessed to have you in their lives. :)

July 25, 2005 12:40 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

That situation is so scary to me. I don't know what I'd do if I were there and I were you or even more so if I were that family. It has got to be so tough.

I liked BSTS' idea of how to tell your sister, though the direct truth shouldn't hurt too bad either. You are just the messenger, and you weren't the one with the cranky mornings.

I understand about the piano, but that is crazy about the red dye. I'm not saying I don't believe it or disagree, but that is just amazing. I know there are a lot of people who subscribe to food changing moods or making you sick, maybe I should listen to them a bit more.

I'm glad they are not going to send him away and I prayed this morning for the family, the boy, and all of his caregivers (including, of course, you).

Hopefully life will be grand for them.

July 25, 2005 7:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, I would love to have your patience level. I agree with BSTS, just say you are trying to keep the confusion level down. Good luck with him, it sounds like he is doing better.

July 25, 2005 10:41 AM

 
Blogger Father of 3 said...

Trinity... this is very important. I know of xeveral people who claim major improvements using this method.

http://www.feingold.org

July 25, 2005 10:53 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thank you everyone for your concern and for your prayers! Both myself and the family appreciate it very much!

Thank you!

July 25, 2005 10:56 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Btw, thanks for the link Fo3. About a year ago, the family read something similar to this and cut back on the bread products they gave the boy. As it turns out, yeast was affecting his behavior.

July 25, 2005 11:03 AM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

It is difficult for all concerned. The boy is surely happier with those who love hime surrounding him, rather than strangers.

July 25, 2005 2:57 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

True, true!

July 27, 2005 9:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home