Life is Grand!!!

Monday, July 18, 2005

Charlie And The Chocolate Factory

(Actually yesterday's post, but again, was not able to get on yesterday)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yesterday my husband, brother, and I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I really wasn't looking forward to seeing this movie, but I just had to! You see, my brother and I know every line of the original movie. We used to watch it together all the time. It was something that only we shared. So, when we found out that a new version was coming out, we had to see it(even though it looked like crap)!

We decided to go to the cheapest first run theater in town so that we wouldn't be out much(money) if it was terrible. Since we got there right at the time it was supposed to start, we had to sit in the first row(since the theater was filled with kids)! Then the movie started 20 minutes late! (I guess that's what we get for going to the cheap theater.)

Then it happened...I started liking the movie! There were several laugh out loud parts that I wasn't even expecting. All of the children were excellent, along with their parents. Freddie Highmore did just as good a job playing Charlie Bucket as Peter Ostrum did in the original.

But, there were just a few things I didn't like about the movie. First thing was the Oompa Loompa songs. They were stupid and annoying. There was nothing catchy about them unlike the original Oompa Loompa songs.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(Scary)

And then there as Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. He was not good at all! He looked funny, and he portrayed Wonka as a scary freak(and I think Depp was too young to play Wonka)! Plus, the movie went into Wonka's past...which the book never mentions. I didn't care to see any of his childhood and it didn't make his character any more likeable by showing him as a kid.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
(Lovable)

All in all, I did enjoy this movie. If this had been the first Chocolate Factory movie, I would have no problems with it. But, all I did was compare it to the original. But like I said, it was a good movie. I plan on buying it as soon as it comes out on dvd just to put it next my original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory dvd.

11
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm planning on taking my youngest daughter to see this tomorrow night, i adore johnny depp. the original movie is a favorite of my oldest daughter, i'm interested to see how they are going to update it.

July 18, 2005 11:38 AM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The Oompa Loompas sound scarier than the aliens in 'War Of The Worlds'.

July 18, 2005 2:44 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

I'm taking my daughter to see it when the lines die down. We have to take turns taking her to movies since my son is too young. My husband got stuck with SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL!*laughing* ahh that was funny.

July 18, 2005 5:04 PM

 
Blogger riskybiz said...

Well there goes my Johnny Depp theory!
I'm glad you liked the movie.

July 18, 2005 8:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I loved the original movie As did my kids. They have been BEGGING me to take them to see this movis, so thanks for the review.

July 18, 2005 10:34 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

It really was a good movie. I would go see it again while it's still in the theater.

July 19, 2005 10:15 AM

 
Blogger Father of 3 said...

There is something Michael Jacksonish about Depp's character.

July 19, 2005 10:38 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

I am definitely worried how much Johnny Depp would ruin Willy Wonka. I, too, will constantly compare it to the original, though if where it is different it is more like the book, I can accept that.

I am just not a big Tim Burton fan and not a big Johnny Depp fan, so I am just dreading this movie.

I guess I'll have to take the girls to it and bite the bullet.

July 22, 2005 5:15 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Are the girls scared easily? If they are, I would wait a little bit before letting them see it.

July 22, 2005 5:17 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

No, they aren't scared easily. I worried about that with SW III and HP II and III, but they just don't care. I ask about it and they tell me that it is not real, so why should they worry?

That isn't to say that they don't get scared, just not by movies.

July 22, 2005 5:27 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Well, I would love to take the girls! I want to see the movie one more time, and they could join me. That way you wouldn't have to. But, up to you. What do ya think?

July 23, 2005 11:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home