Life is Grand!!!

Friday, July 15, 2005

Bad Morning

This morning(as I do every Friday morning) I was supposed to watch the autistic boy from 7-11. His mom leaves as soon as I get there and his dad works half days on Fridays and then relieves me.

Well, I knew today wasn't going to be a good day as soon as I got the their house. Before I could even shut the front door, the autistic boy comes up behind me and smacks me on the back. I guess he was upset with his mom and took a little of it out on me. Recently the the boy tends to stem on the tv. He loves looking at the blue screen for the pay-per-channels and gets hooked on it. Well that morning his mom put in a movie to keep her son from stemming off the blue screen...and he didn't like it!

The boy ended up throwing a HUGE fit! He was being violent towards himself and his mom. He gave himself a large red mark from pinching himself and then he bit his mom...and good too! I could tell that he bit her really hard. She tried to calm him down and eventually she had to hold him down to keep him and her from further injury.

After 30 minutes of the boy fighting with us, his mom called up the dad. She told him that if this were to continue, the boy would need to find another home...a place where they would be able to deal with his tantrums. She also ended up breaking down and crying. I haven't ever seen her get so upset.

Well, she ended up staying home with him and his dad came home right after he was called. I hope they were able to calm him down after I left.

This is getting really serious here. Most Fridays I came home with a new battle scar, pee on me, or messed up glasses(from him hitting me in the face). I can handle this once a week, but his parents have to deal with this daily. I don't know how much longer the boy will be able to stay in the home with them. And the last thing the parents want to do is have to send the boy away. They both love him very much, but they are near their breaking point.

Please say a prayer for the family that God will tell them what to do next. They really need His guidance right now. Thanks everyone.

6
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think when parents are faced with a situation such as this, they need to get advice from their family doctor for starters. i'm not sure where you actually live, but there should be support groups out there available to offer support and relief to this family. you could even google for some ideas about what to do and where to go for help. i will say a prayer for this family.

July 15, 2005 6:24 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

Man, that's a tough situation. I'll pray for them.

July 15, 2005 6:55 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

my heart goes out to them and I will keep them and the boy in my prayers!!

July 15, 2005 10:12 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thank you for your prayers. They are much appreciated!

We live in Columbus, Ohio BSTS. And his parents know of others with autistic boys. But, their child is pretty extreme, so there are no others they can relate to. Plus, each autistic child is different. This particular boy I watch not only has autisim, but he has ADD along with seeing problems.

And, I along with two others are the relief for this family. We do what we can, but sometimes even that is not enough.

I just know that sending their child out of the home is their last option. And I wish it didn't have to come to that. But, God will let his parents know what to do. Every child is precious in His sight.

July 15, 2005 11:30 PM

 
Blogger Nic said...

How heartbreaking that must be. One of my best friends has an autistic son and she is a nurse and a single mom with two kids. I don't know how she does it. However, she is trying something new with his diet. Taking out all gluten and heavy metals in his diet that are found in common foods. This seems to be helping him out quite a bit. I will say a prayer for this dear child and his parents that they be given the strength to endure and the comfort to know that they are doing the right thing. God surely has a special place in His heart for special needs children and the families that take care of them on a daily basis.

Seen you on Capt. Picard's blog several times but this is the first visit I've made here. Really like your blog!

July 17, 2005 11:07 PM

 
Blogger Nic said...

BTW, I was so moved by this story that I posted your post to an online group that I'm a member of so that they culd all pray for this family. I hope you don't mind.

July 17, 2005 11:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home