Life is Grand!!!

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Halloween-Good or Bad?

It's now October which means one of my favorite holidays is coming up. Halloween! I love dressing up in something different every year, even though I am too old. But now I have an excuse. I want to have some fun with my son, so I dress up with him. Last year he was a police officer, my hubby was a prisoner, and I was the judge. I year before, when I was pregnant with my son, I was the Pillsbury Doughboy. Growing up I got to dress up as a Smurf, a clown, a police officer, a gypsy, an angel, an indian, and a princess to name a few. I look forward to picking out my costume every year. I can't wait till next year when my son is tall enough to be an Oompa Loompa . My tall brother is going to be Willy Wonka, my hubby will be Grandpa Joe, and I will be Violet Beauregarde-when she is full of juice. This year is going to super hero themed. My son will be superman, my hubby Lex Luthor(from the SM movies), and I will be Supergirl. I even purchased a blonde wig!



Here's the problem. Is it right for me as a christian to participate in this pagan based holiday? I know that it's fun to go house to house for candy. I also love passing out candy along with a christian tract. It's a great way to share the message to the kids and their parents in my neighborhood. But, should I even let my family celebrate something that started out so wrong? Even craving a pumpkin has a demonic meaning behind it.

Growing up, my family wouldn't allow us to wear a "bad costume"-Anything gory or demon related. But, according to some christians, wearing a costume in the first place is like worshipping satan. Some christian groups are even against church Harvest Parties which are alternatives to trick-or-treating. These people think that you should not even gather at all on this secular holiday.

Do you think it is okay to participate in Halloween and all it's activities, like pumpkin craving? According to this website, we shouldn't. Please leave your comments about this holiday. I would love to know what your favorite costume was growing up, that is if your family allowed trick-or-treating. If you have kids, will you allow them to dress up this year and what costume will they choose? Again, Halloween-good or bad?

2
Blogger G said...

I personally have no problems with beggars night. We always went out as kids and were aware of the meanings behind Halloween. Yes it's true, as Christians, we are to be in the world and not of the world, but Jesus said we are also to be salt and light. Some of the extremely legalistic believers would have us be a subculture or even a completely separate culture. That is not what we are called to do.
Odds are that less than half of the children who come to your door are Satan worshippers, so it is an awesome outreach opportunity. The tract idea is a great one in my opinion.
As a responsible parent, you have the duty of teaching your children about the evil that exists in this world, and Halloween is one of many opportunities to do so. I wouldn't encourage you to send them out in any "bad costume" whatever that may be, but to use this night as a memory-maker for you and your kids.
Truthfully, I think the secular version of Christmas does a much more subtle, yet effective job of taking away from Christ than Halloween ever will.

October 02, 2004 6:06 PM

 
Blogger G said...

Oh, my favorite costume was the Lone Ranger.

October 02, 2004 6:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home