Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Eternal Security

I had a wonderful time with my friend last night even though she ripped me a new butt hole (to quote an old co-worker of mine). We had a long talk about how I was rebelling against God. I am going through an adolescence period with the Big Guy up above right now. I don't understand some things going on in my life, so I like to blame God. It's not right, but I would rather point my finger at Him than on myself.

Any way, my friend gave me some good advice on how to deal with the sin in my life right now. With my rebellion, I am not talking to God as much, so I am not confessing my sins as I should. She really got on me for not praying. Then she said something that I don't agree with. She said she was worried that if I were to have a car accident that night and die instantly, that I wouldn't end up in Heaven. She said my unconfessed sin would prohibit me from spending eternity with God. I told her that I am a Christian going to Heaven when I die and once saved, always saved. I also said that just because a person sins, it doesn't mean that they will automatically go to Hell if the sin is not immediately confessed. I then asked her what would happen if she had a little bad thought right before her death. Would that mean she will go to Hell. I said, no, of course not. She said that she could respect my opinion, even though she didn't believe in it. We kind of moved to another subject by then, but I wanted to blog about it and back my belief up with some Bible verses.

First off, check out Luke chapter 15. Jesus is telling the Pharisees three parables. In each parable, something is lost or astray and then is found or returns home. Take, for example, the story of the lost son. It tells how a son left his father to explore what the world had to offer. Even though the son left to do his own thing, he was always his fathers son. Nothing would change the fact that he belong to his father. If the son would have died doing his own thing, he would still be his father's son. I can't emphasize that enough. I am that lost child right now, doing my own thing, out of God's will. But that doesn't change the fact that I am still God's child.

Here are a few more verses that deal with the subject:

John 10:28-29 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.

Rom 8:38-39 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

By dying on the cross, Jesus paid and forgave all of our sins that we committed in the past, present, and future. I may not be following God's will right now, but I know for a fact that I am going to Heaven when I die. I have been a child of His since I was 5 and I always will be. Nothing will change that fact!

Tell me your thoughts about eternal security. Do you believe in it? Why? Do you have any comments about the verses I used and do you have any favorite salvation verses? I would love to hear anything you have to say about this subject. Thanks.

2
Blogger G said...

You're 100% right about eternal security. Amen.

It's awesome that your friend cares so much about you and sees a need to help and encourage you right now.

The John 10 verses are an excellent example to back up the fact that there is eternal security. The Romans 8 verses also show us why(because of His love) we have eternal security.

Some of my favorite reassuring verses about salvation and eternal security are on the "Romans Road to Salvation"

Romans 3

10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."
13 "Their throat is an open tomb; With their tongues they have practiced deceit"; "The poison of asps is under their lips";
14 "Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness."
15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 Destruction and misery are in their ways;
17 And the way of peace they have not known."
18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

Those verses show that everyone's a sinner.

Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

This one tells us what sinners deserve.

Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Salvation comes from what he did; not what we do.

Romans 10

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.

13 For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved

The only thing required of us for salvation is to accept the free gift.

Romans 5:1

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ

How can we have peace if we're not sure of our salvation?

Romans 8:1

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Once we're His, we're His!

To quote some lyrics from one of my favrite songs:

Not because of who I am,
But because of what You've done,
Not because of what I've done,
But because of who You are,

Who Am I - Casting Crowns

We didn't do anything to get saved. What makes us think we need to do something to stay saved? If there is something we could've done, then Christ's death was in vain!

If she uses that unnecessary fear of losing her salvation as motivation to keep her prayer life strong, and her "sins to confess" list clean, then more power to her.

Sorry for the long post, but that's something I feel strongly about.

September 29, 2004 12:53 AM

 
Blogger G said...

Statistically, if you do not recieve Christ as savior by age 21, your chances of becoming saved decrease from then on out. As for Madeline and Jeff, Christ died for ALL!

September 29, 2004 9:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home