Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Respect

My hubby and I have been discussing respect recently. I found a few things on some web sites that might be helpful to us, so I thought I would share.

What Respect Is
Respect means a lot of different things. On a practical level it seems to include taking someone's feelings, needs, thoughts, ideas, wishes and preferences into consideration. We might also say it means taking all of these seriously and giving them worth and value. In fact, giving someone respect seems similar to valuing them and their thoughts, feelings, etc. It also seems to include acknowledging them, listening to them, being truthful with them, and accepting their individuality and idiosyncrasies.

Respect can be shown through behavior and it can also be felt. We can act in ways which are considered respectful, yet we can also feel respect for someone and feel respected by someone. Because it is possible to act in ways that do not reflect how we really feel, the feeling of respect is more important than the behavior without the feeling. When the feeling is there, the behavior will naturally follow.

Where Respect Comes From
As I see it, respect is something that is earned. One earns another's respect by voluntarily doing the things I mentioned above, such as taking that person's feelings, needs and thoughts into consideration.


Respect seems to be like a boomerang in the sense that you must send it out before it will come back to you. Respect cannot be demanded or forced, though sometimes people mistakenly believe that it can, as I discuss below.

Since a baby has no concept of respect, and feels only its own needs when it is first born, I believe that the only successful way to teach a child what respect is, is to earn the respect of the child as they slowly grow into a thinking human being.

The way this is done is first of all by attending to the child's natural needs, such as to be fed and nurtured. As the child grows, his needs change. He has increasingly sophisticated psychological needs. He begins to express his own views, his own preferences, and he has an increasing need for freedom, autonomy and independence. This is when the adults in his life can treat him with increasing respect and thereby earn his respect in return. The more he develops into his own person, the more there is something there which can earn the respect of the adults.

It doesn't make sense to think of respecting a baby in the same way that we say we respect an adult. Yet on some level the two concepts are similar. This similarity has to do with our voluntarily helping that person with their needs. In either case, we must first accept the needs. For example, if a baby needs to be fed at three in the morning we don't do it begrudgingly if we respect his natural needs; we simply accept that the infant has a natural need to eat at that particular moment. Likewise, if an adolescent or an adult needs to talk, we accept this need and we show respect by listening voluntarily.

If respecting someone means respecting their feelings and their survival needs, then if a person does not respect your feelings, they don't respect you. If those in positions of power and authority do not respect your needs and feelings, they will not earn your respect.

It has been said, " In order for one to get respect one has to have self- respect." You might find it helpful to develop self-respect by becoming assertive. This means not giving in because your spouse will get angry. Rather, state your feelings in a calm and direct manner.



I found most of this info from http://eqi.org/respect.htm Very useful info, I think.

In short, when I am not respected by someone, it makes it hard for me to respect this person. Respect is not a given, it is earned.

4
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks for the comment Drifter. I do feel really sexy in them today! Too bad you will never see them on me. Boo-hoo.

November 09, 2004 1:58 PM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

Just remember respect is a 2 way street. Maybe he feels the same way and is waiting for respect before he gives it? I don't know, just a thought.

November 09, 2004 6:36 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Your right drifter, as a man you can dream because that is the only place you will see me in my undies. Unless, of course, you find revealing pics of me online. Keep your eyes peeled!

November 09, 2004 6:37 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Loelsh- I lost my respect for G when he started disrespecting me. I will not just give my respect back just because he asks me to. He has to earn it back! And that is more than a thought, it is a fact.

November 09, 2004 6:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home