Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hmmm...

I'm not sure what to do about a situation and I need some input...please?!

As most of you know, I watch four boys during the day. Well the one year old's mom loves to overpay me. She gives me $5 more a day then I get for the youngest red head (who is 4 months old). And I have the one year old for two hours less a day. I've told her in the past that she overpays me, but she insists that I take the money. But, that's not my current problem.

After the oldest red head reached a certain age, I start supplying his lunch. It's really no problem since I have to make lunch for me and my boy anyway (plus it only costs about $0.50 to feed him and it makes it easier for his mom...she doesn't have to pack so much). So, oldest red head has joined in on these lunches for over a year and now the one year is old enough to join us. His mom told me that she wanted to pay for me feeding him. I told her that I would not want to be paid extra for a service that I provide free of charge to the red head. I thought she understood this, but then she paid me an extra $15 (for 6 days)!

Okay first off, it doesn't cost $2.50 a day to feed him. Second, I told her not to pay me. I don't know whether to just accept the money or to call her on it. I want to just tell her to subtract the $15 from my next pay, but I don't want to offend her.

I'm just not sure what to do? Would you just take the money and not say anything? Or would you say something to the mom (I've tried this before with her over paying me $5 a day and it didn't work).

What to do...what to do.

8
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should accept, you've already mentioned it to her. you can always spend the extra money on crafts or something to do with the kids that you may not normally have spent the money on. and i don't know what you're feeding these kids, cuz i don't know of any meal that you can serve for 50 cents, one apple alone here costs almost a dollar, as the kids get older, it is going to cost you more to feed them. i'm sure she's very thankful that you're doing it for her and saving her time by not having to make lunches and snacks and this is her way of saying thanks.

September 07, 2005 6:36 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Since you have mentioned the extra money is not needed and she still insists on giving it to you. Go ahead and take it. It is probably her way of rewarding you on a job well done.

Take the money and put it back into your daycare. And take some money for yourself, because you ARE doing a good job!

September 07, 2005 10:03 AM

 
Blogger Veruca Salt said...

if she *really* wants to give you more and you *really* don't want to take it, you could always ask her to bring food instead, like a loaf of bread a week, or fruit, or soup, snacks or whatever kind of stuff you feed them for lunches - that way she's can really feel like she's contributing

but being a working (out of the house, that is) mom who had a young child in a home daycare for his first 4 years, I can tell you that you there's no price too high for knowing that your child is taken care of well during the day and I ALWAYS used to bring snacks, or craft stuff to my daycare lady.

September 07, 2005 10:50 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks for all your input everyone!

BSTS, because my son and I would be sharing our lunch, it doesn't cost that much. We have everything from grilled cheese (costs me $0.25 for the one year old's share)to pizza to mac n cheese and hotdogs to those frozen dinners (the ones with a meat like chicken fingers, corn, fries, and brownie...I get them for $0.79 on sale). And I only buy things that are on sale (unless I am shopping at Aldi). It def doesn't amount to the $2.50 a day she is giving me. But I appreciate her thoughtfulness.

P21, she is a wonderful lady! It's been great working for her.

DW, I have thought about it being my reward...or my tip. But it seems to much. I want to provide a service that won't cost them an arm and a leg since I consider my moms friends. I care for their children as my own and I don't feel right even charging as much as I do. But, thank you for the compliment! It's much appreciated.

Cate, I forgot to mention that she does still bring some food. Every week she brings a big box of goldfish and a box of fruit snacks "for the kids to share". I know she has the best intentions, but it's just hard for me to accept her abundant generosity. She is just too giving!

September 07, 2005 12:02 PM

 
Blogger Shannon said...

take it from a mom of 3 and daycare provider who takes 4kids on, one of them for 13hours a day, who gets paid squat, take the money do something special with it. Do you write receipts for them? it keeps everything in order!

September 07, 2005 1:51 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

I think you could tell her once more that she is giving you too much money. If she continues to pay more than I would let her.

You do a great service to these mothers. Good childcare is a blessing to find so she may just be showing her gratitude. I wouldn't take that from her.

September 07, 2005 2:55 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Shannon, I don't write up receipts for them, but I do keep track of the money paid to me in a calendar. They are welcome to look at it anytime, and neither of the moms have requested anything on paper. (Btw, it sounds like you have your hands full!)

NJ, I'm def trying to look at it like a tip...it's hard though.

Good idea OGO. I plan on telling her next week (when I get paid again) that she is once again overpaying me. After that, if she overpays, I'm not saying another word.

Thanks again everyone for your advice/input. You have all really helped me out!

September 07, 2005 4:23 PM

 
Blogger Father of 3 said...

Keep the money, buy something extra.. (like a new toy or video or something) and point out to the woman that her extra money paid for this.

September 08, 2005 10:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home