Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Too Old?

Yesterday I was changing in front of my four year old, and I started to think that he could possibly be to old to see me unclothed. In the past, he has taken showers with me (to save time) and seen me dress. But how old do you think is too old to be undressing in front of your kids?

I remember seeing my mom undress in front of me...in fact, she still doesn't have a problem sharing a dressing room with me. But then, of course, it's different with my dad. I was about 5 or 6 when I had to start knocking on his bedroom door since he didn't want me walking in on him.

So, because I have a little boy, should I start watching how much skin he sees? Should I make him leave the room cause I need to shower or change? What was the age cut off for your kids?

14
Blogger Unknown said...

I started asking the boys to leave the room right around Christmas. That's when one of them started to question why I had big boobies. LOL. While I want them to be comfortable, I also want them to know they are also entitled to privacy. My five year old now gets dressed on his own (I lay out his clothes) and goes to the bathroom with the door closed.

One down, two to go!

March 28, 2006 10:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that it was right around the same age as your son.. 4.
Does he seem curoius that when you'll know.

March 28, 2006 12:07 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

In my opinion, it depends on your stance on nudity. People who are more nudist in their ways will never conceal their bodies from their families.

If you take a more conservative body approach, I'd say 4 sounds good. Because I have 2 girls, the younger one got started earlier on it by proxy. I wasn't going to let one in the room and not the other.

My main point is, I don't ever want my daughters to be able to mentally make a comparison between their future husbands' "anatomy" and mine. That seems damaging :-)

March 28, 2006 12:13 PM

 
Blogger Father of 3 said...

4. and I chuckled at what Guru wrote. Out loud.

March 28, 2006 1:09 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

My son is 4, and we're still not there yet. But, we're pretty relaxed about family modesty anyway, so I may not be the best person to ask...

March 28, 2006 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

That's a good question. My daughter still sees me naked from time to time but neither of us minds. Now my son, is another story I don't know when I'll start worrying about that. My husband has banned my daughter for a LONG time it gave him the creeps. It's probably for the best!:)

March 28, 2006 2:29 PM

 
Blogger cube said...

We only have daughters, but to teach them to respect their own
privacy, we covered up around them when they started toddling around.

March 28, 2006 3:13 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

I'm such a modest person and don't have kids, so I'm probably the last judge. But, I think I'd probably stop with a nephew by four.

March 28, 2006 9:42 PM

 
Blogger Robin said...

dirk - LOL!!

We started by careful when they started noticing, I think it was around 4. You really need to do what is comfortable for you because your son will pick on either your relaxedness or your anxiety.

March 28, 2006 9:57 PM

 
Blogger Robin said...

I meant, of course, that we started BEING careful. Geez, good thing I don't type for a living. Wait a minute, I do! ;)

March 28, 2006 9:57 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Gotta love guru's comment.

I think I started when my son was four, I think it could have been a year or rwo later though.

March 28, 2006 10:12 PM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

I don't have a son so I didn't have this problem but if I had, I would think 4 is the right age.

March 29, 2006 8:38 AM

 
Blogger CameraDawktor said...

What an interesting question! It seems like 4 is the magic # for everyone. Seems like my kids always have a question to ask me when I'm in the tub. My boys are 7 & 5. I don't let them stare at me but they still see a little bit of this and a little bit of that. We just don't make a big deal about it.

However, my daughter just turned 10 and it makes me really uncomfortable when she sees my husband (that doesn't happen very often). So I guess the right age is whatever you are comfortable with.

Dirk the Feeble is quite the hillarious guy!!

March 30, 2006 12:03 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I tell my son that only girls are supposed to have big boobs DW...and boys have the balls! :-)

Sounds great Dirk...thanks!!!

He has always been a curious boy Day, but I'm just starting to feel uncomfortable around him when I'm changing.

Makes sense, thanks Guru! Heehee!!!

Thanks for the input Fof3.

I'm pretty relaxed as well Jen, but I just don't want to scar him for life! :-P

I can see my hubby being the same way when we have a little girl OGO.

Good point Cube, thanks.

I'm not around my nephew alot Becky, but four sounds like a good age.

Right Robin, I don't want my son noticing that I am uncomfortable. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the comment Barbara, Texas, and Viamarie!

Staring is def not allowed Cameradawktor! :-) Thanks for stopping by!!!

April 05, 2006 7:52 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home