Life is Grand!!!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Baby Names

As some of you know, I am a planner. I plan out vacations months (and sometimes up to a year) in advance. I also schedule my day out to things that need to be accomplished each hour. I plan for Halloween 6 months ahead, and I try to get my Christmas shopping started by December 28th. In other words, I love schedules. I like knowing exactly what I should be doing at any given hour.

My planning has also included baby names. My hubby and I had my son's name picked out before he was conceived. We have also had a girl name picked out (since 1997-when we were dating). We both love this girl name and I thought it was a given if I'm carrying a girl. But boy was I wrong!

My hubby and I have another boy name picked out, but it's a neutral name. So my hubby suggested to me that we just name the baby this neutral name (and forget our first choice for a girl's name!). That way we, and the boy, can just call the baby one name. The hubs really loves this name and he thought that it could avoid confusion in the end.

So, I don't know what to do. I love love love the first girl name we picked out, but I also really love the neutral name. I know we still have over 6 months to decided, but I didn't think I had to make this decision. I thought that our girl name was taken care of...but like I said, I do really like the neutral name we picked out.

Ahhh, what to do, what to do.

15
Blogger Pete said...

I'm pretty sure I know the girl name, but without the neutral name, I don't know that I can offer much advice. I mean there is a big difference between the qualities of Terry(i), Billy(ie), Ashley, Kim, Kerry, etc. Are you definitely keeping it a secret?

March 22, 2006 9:21 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

We are not keeping it a secret with family and friends...just with the blogging world (sorry loyal readers, I just like being a little anonymous).

March 22, 2006 9:25 AM

 
Blogger Jana said...

I'm not really one to offer advice, since two of our kids weren't named until after they were born, even though we knew we were having boys. So if it were me, I'd wait and see if she looks like the name fits her, if it's a girl. They're not gonna make you fill out the birth certificate ahead of time! ;)

March 22, 2006 9:30 AM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

I love the name you had picked for a girl. I also like G's middle name for a girl.

I, personally, am not a big fan of gender neutral names. But, that's me.

We had our boy's name picked out before I got pg with the second girl. We thought of a different boy name we liked when we got pg w/ the boy, but ultimately decided to go with the one we chose years ago. I am really happy we did.

We'll just use the other boy name if we ever have another boy. (I know, guru, no more babies!!)

March 22, 2006 9:49 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, I am the official owner of a gender neutral name. It has never really bothered me EXCEPT that my parents spelled it the boys' way. So, when I go to a new doctor or any appointment, they always say Mr. Deputy. Ugh. Hate that. That's my only complaint.

Here's a suggestion. One of the names for the middle name and the other for the first name. Maybe?

March 22, 2006 12:24 PM

 
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

i always thought neutral names were kinda fun.

March 22, 2006 1:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say keep both names in mind and the momemnt the baby is born you'll know what ot do.

March 22, 2006 2:10 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Well, from the names you supplied me with, I like the unisex name for the girl. I think it is a fine name for a boy, as well.

Normally not a fan of too many unisex names, I like this particular one for a myriad of reasons, so my vote would be for it.

Would you use one of the "old names" as a middle name, then?

March 22, 2006 2:31 PM

 
Blogger Shelley said...

You know, sometimes it's the first name you pick out that ends up being "the one". I loved the name Olivia and my hubby hated it. After a book with 30,000 freakin names in it, we ended up settling on Olivia (Liv for short). My hubby loved the name Garret for a boy when I was expecting my son, and I hated it! When he was born, it just fit. Other names that were in the running (just to give you ideas: Annika (was supposed to be for my son, if he had been a girl, but at the time the 1st Star Wars came out and we thought it sounded too much like Anakin)...we also liked Keelin, Sarah, Charlotte, Raissa, Eric, Mason and Dawson.)

There were others but I don't remember. Geez...kind of makes me want another babe...sigh...I'll just live through you, okay?!?!

Have a great day, and thanks for your kind comments on my blog today.

March 22, 2006 2:55 PM

 
Blogger G said...

I say, we wait until after we find out if it's a boy or a girl to settle on a name, but it sure would be nice to refer to our child by something other than "the Baby"

...We ARE gonna find out the gender ahead of time right?

March 22, 2006 10:42 PM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

If it's a girl, go with the love, love, love name...lol! But I guess you and hubby have to agree, that's all a part of it ;)

So tough, too many choices.

March 22, 2006 11:41 PM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

Okay so I posted BEFORE reading hubby's comment. Good point made, wait until you know the gender to decide and put all planning to a hault... GASP.

I found out the gender ahead of time with all 3 and do not regret that one little bit. We then were able to refer to baby by name during pregnancy as opposed to 'baby'.

March 22, 2006 11:44 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

We had a boy name picked out for YEARS, but by the time we found out Tiernan was a boy, my sister was pregnant and 3 weeks ahead of us. At her ultrasound, she found out she was having a boy and laid claim to OUR BOY NAME!!!!

To be fair, we were keeping it a secret. So, I guess the moral of the story is to just be flexible, keep your options open until you're signing that birth certificate! :-)

March 23, 2006 1:44 AM

 
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It's always good to have a name for a boy and a girl beforehand. At least the excitement of having a 2nd baby will not affect your selection of a name.

March 23, 2006 9:16 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

True, true Jana!

As of right now Lo, we do not plan on using G's middle name for any of our children. Oh course, we could change our minds in a few years! :-)

Why not be 5 names long PJ?! Member, my bro has 4 names.

We are def working through spelling issues DW!

Same here BoN!!!

I think we already know Day, but thanks!

We are def using our first choice girls name Guru. I guess the neutral name is taken!

What a cute name Shelley!!! I really like Olivia!

Yes silly G!!!

Will do, thanks Leslie!

How rude of her Jen...heehee!

We love to be prepared FC!

Hmmmm, have to think about that one OZ!!!

March 28, 2006 8:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home