Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Just Visiting

My hubby's grandparents visited our church last Sunday to hear my honey sing a special. I was a little worried that they would hate the music since they only have a piano at their church. However, I did warn them that our music was very upbeat and that the drummer and electric guitar player really get into the worship.

But I could almost feel them cringing when we started singing the first song. It was one of those songs that gets you excited for worship time. People were clapping their hands, raising their arms, and/or swaying to the music. It was an incredible worship time, but I knew the grandparents wouldn't get into it. They both ended up sitting down (which is understandable since we sing for over 20 minutes), but I hope they didn't regret their decision to visit our church.

Afterward, they said that they loved my hubby's song and that they loved hearing our pastor's message. But I know they really didn't care for the worship. It just makes me think about how times have changed. Even 15 years ago, my church at the time wouldn't let my mom sing a special song cause they said there was too much devil's beat in the accompaniment track. Now churches, like my parents, have a full band (drums, saxophones, flutes, guitars, etc.) for worship time.

I see all these new instruments in the church, but maybe times haven't really changed all that much. After all, the grandparents church still just uses a piano. But I guess it doesn't matter how many instruments you worship with, just as long as you are worshiping, right?!

10
Blogger Jennboree said...

I think you'll always have those who prefer "the old ways". I'm more traditionalist when it comes to worship music as well. Except when we go to my husband's grandmother's church and it is just a piano and 8 people all singing off key. So I just worship with a squinty eye :)

August 29, 2006 9:10 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

I don't think that it is because they don't believe that those instruments belong in a church, it is more that that style of music isn't their thing. If you took stock of their musical tastes, they would be a lot closer to the worship styles that they prefer, as well.

For instance, I do NOT like reggae music. If I attended a church that did reggae-style music (which I don't have a problem with, biblically), I would not have a very good and worshipful time.

August 29, 2006 10:49 AM

 
Blogger Jana said...

I think it's more a matter of taste than anything. My church doesn't think that drums belong in a worship service, so they discourage even bringing a soundtrack that has drums on it. But they don't tell people that they shouldn't listen to that kind of music. I personally love really upbeat songs, but I respect the feelings of the older people at my church who don't want that, and I only sing with the piano or keyboard accompaniment.

August 29, 2006 12:06 PM

 
Blogger Jen said...

I love the praise bands we've had at our churches lately. It was DEADLY DULL hymns only when I was a kid. Not that hymns are bad, but man Sunday morning used to draaaggggg....

August 29, 2006 12:41 PM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Jana's right; it is a matter of taste. Some just aren't suitable, even though the end result is the same.

August 29, 2006 3:26 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

I enjoy the upbeat worship myself. Don't let the piano fool you though. My M-I-L can pound out some good ol gospel with them ivories!

August 29, 2006 6:05 PM

 
Blogger G said...

Hey Mon! Ya jis godda praze de Lord don'cha kno'!

I grew up with hymns which were and are still some of my favorite songs.

Our church now does a lot of upbeat praise and worship music which I love as well.

So which do I prefer a church to have?

Praise...I'll sing Praise... or Hymns. They're both favorites so either one is good... if they have both I'll sing praise though 'cause that's a little more favorite. But if they don't have praise, it's like uuh uuh that's fine 'cause hymns are favorite anyway ya know? It's like, it's like another favorite, but not as much... not as much favorite, but they're both good. They're both good.

August 29, 2006 11:22 PM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh my, this sounds all too familiar!

Our church is quitars and drums. It is not for everyone and that's okay. There are enough churches out there to find a fit.

August 30, 2006 1:00 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

So true Jennboree...and there will always be a piano in the church.

Thats what g-ma said Guru, but I knew she wouldn't like the loudness of them in the church.

That's too bad Jana, I love having drums in our church! It's just another way to praise God.

I love it when we sing hnmns to rock music Jen....it's fantastic!

I'm glad there are plenty of church's out there Capt where your tastes can be satisfied.

Our piano player gets into it as well OGO...I love watching her play!

Are ya retarded G???! :-)

So true Leslie!!!

August 30, 2006 8:21 AM

 
Blogger G said...

I wonder what those signs say...

August 30, 2006 11:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home