Life is Grand!!!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

WTC

While in Michigan, my hubby and I decided to check out a local theatre. There were a ton of movie choices, but only a few looked worth the ticket price. Since my mom spoke so highly of World Trade Center (the true story about the search and rescue of two Police officers who were trapped inside the first fallen tower), we decided to check it out. Ever since I saw a preview of this movie, I didn't think I wanted to see it. I thought it was too soon to have a movie like this out, but after talking with my mom, I was intrigued. I had never heard my mom speak so positively about a movie before. And she actually plans on seeing it again while it's still in theatres...that would be a first for her. So the only reason I decided to go ahead and see it was because of her recommendation.

Immediately I was sucked into the movie and the 125 minutes went by so quickly! I was surprised to find out that the police officers really didn't know what was going on. The volunteers who went into the tower didn't have a clue what was happening with the second tower. They just knew that they needed to help the people get out.

My favorite character from the movie was the ex-marine (his story can be found here). He immediately dropped what he was doing to help out at the towers. He know he had a job to do and he also knew that we would soon be at war because of what happened. He and another ex-marine ignored the warnings of others and searched the towers for survivors. They didn't care that it was getting dark or that walking on the unstable, collapsed buildings would be difficult...they just wanted to help.

This movie didn't show much of the outside of the buildings before they collapsed and I'm glad for it. It helped me as a movie watcher stay focused on the teamwork needed to rescue the trapped people. The movie was more about the American spirit than about the tragedy. The movie also helped remind me why we have our men and women across seas.

WTC def touched me and I spent a lot of the movie tearing up or crying. At one point I almost started sobbing...I was that emotional invested in it! But I would highly recommend this movie. I now think it's not too soon to see a movie on the NY attacks. In fact, it's a great reminder of what happened to our country and what it did to our lives.

11
Blogger Oh great One said...

I haven't seen the movie but I imagine that having watched it unfold that day it would have a more powerful affect on us.

August 16, 2006 10:02 AM

 
Blogger cube said...

I haven't seen it either. Even now, I get so angry whenever I think about 9/11. I think it would be best for me to see on DVD at home...

August 16, 2006 12:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not going to see this one. i thinks it's in bad taste for the victim families to have done a movie so soon.

August 16, 2006 12:54 PM

 
Blogger Real Life in South Carolina said...

I haven't seen that one yet. I don't think I can handle it with all the pregnancy hormones flowing through my system, (I'd be a basket case), but definitely something to check out after the baby is born and the baby blues are gone!

Thanks for stopping by, and wanted to tell you congratulations!!! October will be here before you know it!

August 16, 2006 1:34 PM

 
Blogger Journey 35 said...

The marine you are speaking of is Sgt. Jason Thomas, and I've had the opportunity to work with him for the past three years here at my present employer.

I first learned about his involvement just a couple of weeks ago when our public information director sent an email to all of the staff. I started reading news articles about him and all that he did, and literally broke out in tears I was so touched. I see this guy almost everyday, and you just never know who you are really talking to. He is the kindest, most down-to-earth person I have ever met. He is a security officer here and I feel even safer knowing he is around.

Thank God for the Jason Thomas' of the world!

August 16, 2006 2:22 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

I have to admit that I'm still not sure if I can watch it, even if it's to remember what happened. What's interesting is that you keep hearing about all these amazing stories, like the one of Sgt. Thomas, that I hadn't heard before. If anything, perhaps it could inspire those of us that think the world is turning evil to know that there are still good people out there.

August 16, 2006 4:08 PM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

Watched it on DVD and it depressed me.

Take Care!

August 16, 2006 7:09 PM

 
Blogger Jana said...

I don't know if I want to see this or not. I was a few weeks pregnant when 9/11 happened and spent many days during that next 9 months in tears over the events. I'm not sure I'm ready to relive that.

August 17, 2006 9:26 AM

 
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

thanks for the Trinity Movie Review. i'm still debating on whether I want to watch this or not, but your thoughts helped.

August 17, 2006 9:55 AM

 
Blogger Jennboree said...

I think it is important and as the ex-Marine said, it needed to be done while the words and emotions were still raw for those who survived in order that the story be told correctly.

Even if this is a movie my children see 10 or 15 years from now, I think it is worth having been made. Plus, many of the victim's families WANTED this movie made so it would never be forgotten.

Thank you for the review! I will most likely have to wait quite a while before being brave enough to watch.

August 17, 2006 11:05 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thank you all for your honesty. I too thought it was much too soon to be making this movie, but I'm so glad I ended up seeing it! I hope to see it again around Sept of next year just as a reminder.

Btw, it's not on dvd yet Viamarie...it just came out in theaters. I think you are thinking of the Flight 93 movie.

August 17, 2006 11:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home