Life is Grand!!!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Big Brother

For the past week or two my four year old son has been acting weird. He has been taking afternoon naps with me and he has become quite lovely towards me. He has really turned into a momma's boy recently. He is scared unless he is with me and I can't leave his sight. He won't even stay with his dad for 10 seconds without asking for me.

His aunt picked him up to take him to the pool yesterday since he loves to go swimming. They have been swimming together without me before, but he didn't like it for some reason yesterday. After about 20 minutes, he wanted to get out of the pool and he was asking for me. This kid is half fish and loves the water, but it was weird that he was done swimming cause I wasn't there with him.

My hubby and I think his recent change in behavior might be because he will be a big brother soon. Maybe he realizes that he will have to share my attention with his little brother starting in October. I just can't think of any other reason why he has become clingy around me besides him thinking I won't give him as much attention here in a few months.

I just hope that my boy will be okay without him momma this weekend. I know he will have a ton of fun with everyone, but I hope he doesn't throw any fits cause he misses me. He just needs to get used to the fact that he won't be an only child anymore...as does his mom!

8
Blogger Leslie said...

Aww, sounds like the reality of sharing you is setting in. He'll be fine, esoecially since he is at an age that you can really involve him.

August 09, 2006 11:03 AM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

The prospect of a change in the family can be scary for everyone involved especially little ones. Give him a little extra lovin' and keep talking about what's coming. It's not as scary when you are "in the loop".

As for this weekend...who knows what will happen. Don't let it ruin your weekend though. It may be a while before you get another one!

August 09, 2006 11:10 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, he knows something is different. Just be sure to give him lots of hugs and be patient. Once he becomes the "big brother" sometimes it helps if he can do little things for you. No matter how silly it seems, he'll probably enjoy bringing you birp rags,etc.

August 09, 2006 11:51 AM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

It's a common fear for a child to think they will be 'put aside' when a new one comes along. You have to reassure him that it won't happen, and will be loved just the same.

August 09, 2006 3:39 PM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

I would say that is definately the cause. My oldest acted out a little bit after her little sister came along.

But your boy has been an only child for a bit longer than she was, so the adjustment will probably be a little harder for him.

It will get better though, especially once the baby gets here and he sees that he still gets attention from you. However, he probably won't be happy that the baby gets more attention than he does. That's completely normal though.

You will adjust. I won't say it'll be easy, cause most likely it won't, but eventually, it will be all good.

August 09, 2006 5:19 PM

 
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Show him a little extra love, but remind him that you will need his help in taking care of the new baby.

A big brother is an important job and he is just the person to fill those shoes. Good luck

August 09, 2006 11:31 PM

 
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

Sounds like he is working things out. Don't worry mom, you and he will get used to the changes.

August 10, 2006 8:15 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I hope so Leslie! He is such a great helper now.

We plan on taking him to a hospital tour with us OGO just so he knows what to expect. I def don't want him being scared of the hospital.

I hear ya Jill, I'll def plan on him helping me with the new one.

We plan on having some alone time with him Capt right after his brother is born. I want him to know he is still special in our eyes.

That's what concerns me Lo, that the boy has been an only child for four years. I hope he is able to cope.

Thanks for stopping Lucy...and I like the idea of letting him know just how important his job will be!

I just hope it won't take too long TC!!

August 17, 2006 11:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home