Life is Grand!!!

Friday, August 04, 2006

Eye Exam

Last night my hubby and I went to get our vision exams. The people in the office were delayed since some of the power was out in the building. So, my hubby was seen about an hour past his original scheduled time and I was seen about 10 minutes after him. But, the doctor more than made up for it! I don't think I have ever had a faster eye exam!!! I probably wasn't with the doctor for more than 5 minutes. I know it had something to do with my non-changing prescription, but still, a 5 minutes examination for $40?! I def picked the wrong job field! :-) Fortunately though, I don't have to go back for another 3 years. Since my prescription hasn't changed in two years, and didn't change much from 4 years ago, I can wait a bit longer before paying someone $40 to look at my unchanging eyes.

Btw, even though he was only with me 5 minutes, the doctor found a freckle on my eye. Weird, huh? I have freckles all over my body, and now I have one in my eye! Craziness!!!

So anyway, my hubby and I took like 600 hours picking out our new frames after the doc saw us. It's a very important decision ya know! These new glasses are going to have to be worn for the next 2-3 years! That's a lifetime if you don't like them!!! But I got myself some flexible frames for the first time. I thought that since we are having a new little one in the house, that it was about time for me to prepare for little grabby hands.

Then, as we were getting ready to head towards the register, an eye tech asked when I was due. When I said October, she looked surprised. She told me that that I looked like I was ready to have a baby within a week or two! A week or two!!! What the....???!! Is she serious? Those who know me outside of blogland, do I really look that big?? I've only gained 8 pounds so far (according to my doctor), but do I really look 9 months prego??

But, why would someone say that anyway?? The eye tech knew I was due in October, so why tell me that I look that far along? I not really taking it as in insult, but why say something like that? I feel like I should be more offended, but should I take it as a compliment? Someone noticed I was very prego instead of very fat...so that's good, right?! It just struck me as weird.

Oh well, have a great weekend everyone!!!

15
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

She probably meant it as a compliment. People do and say weird things around pregnant women. I am not sure why but I find they always do.

August 04, 2006 10:42 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Yes, sometimes it is some weird badge of honor to have a big baby, like you have won some sort of contest for suffering!

I second what TC said. Chalk it up to weirdness, but I also think it was at least a tad rude.

August 04, 2006 11:07 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, yes, the eye doc has it made (except when he does surgery) If you know how much the frame markup is you'd freak! I used to work in an eye doc office!

When my oldest was three we were at the Circus and a lady asked me when I was due. (I was pregnant with twins). This was in July. I told her I was due in Sept 28. She replied, "you'll never make it that far" She was right. They came Aug 28.

August 04, 2006 11:10 AM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

She probably did mean it as a compliment. I think people just don't know what to say sometimes. So, instead of just not saying anything at all, they just blurt something out.

I don't think you look like you're that far along.

I do remember liking the fact that people could tell I was pregnant and not just fat. But didn't care so much for the "you're huge" comments (even though I was).

August 04, 2006 11:57 AM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

First-I hope he was thorough in his 5 minute exam. It's not right if he rushed it just to catch up.

Second-How rude is that to say to a pregnant woman?!! You can think it all you want but you don't say it! Especially if you just met them.

August 04, 2006 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Flora Pang said...

mine is changing CONSTANTLY. I have to go check every single year...

August 04, 2006 12:11 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A freckle on your eye? I have never heard of that!

As far as the tech, don't sweat it. They probably have no idea that everyone is different and progress differently at every stage. I had a lady once swear to me I was going to have my baby within a week and I was only 4 months pregnant. I could have kicked her!!!

August 04, 2006 1:52 PM

 
Blogger Jennboree said...

She probably didn't mean anything by it but I too have been shocked at how people talk to me about my pregnancy this time around.

First time it was "Oh, you are so TINY" or "You look fantastic!"

Now it is "You are so HUGE!" and "You look so friggin tired!"

August 04, 2006 5:30 PM

 
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Maybe your doctor needs more new eyeglasses than you do. (Lol).

August 04, 2006 9:41 PM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The most embarassing thing Trin, is when someone asks a plump women when her baby will be coming, and she isn't even pregnant!

August 05, 2006 10:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the time put into finding the right pair. I do the same thing.

August 05, 2006 3:23 PM

 
Blogger Flora Pang said...

currently waiting for the next post......

August 05, 2006 10:59 PM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

Just don't mind what she said. There are people who just say things just to strike a conversation. You should be worried if it's your OB who said it.

Btw, what does having a freckle in the eye mean? Is going to affect vision or what?

August 06, 2006 9:09 AM

 
Blogger Becky said...

Ah,now your post above makes a little more sense with your mom's comment. I can't imagine that only an eight lbs. gain looks like a nine-month baby. That's crazy.

Yeah, I used to work for an optical retailer and long since figured out that optometrists really do have it easy.

August 07, 2006 3:36 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I'm sure she did TC...just sounded weird.

I hear ya Guru-don't people know that pregos are extra sensitive?

I really should look into it Jill...sounds like really good money!

Awww, thanks PJ!

Thanks as well Lo...glad to know some people don't think I look ready to pop!

He was OGO-it was just fast since my prescription didn't change at all.

Same with my hubby Flora...he hates it.

She prob has never had a baby before DW.

Right, I hear ya Jennboree! I guess I'm showing a lot faster this time around.

Heehee, so true FC!!!

I hate that Capt!

It's a very important decision Day...something that can't be rushed. :-)

Sorry Flora, I don't post over the weekend...family time.

August 08, 2006 10:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home