Life is Grand!!!

Friday, October 14, 2005

Nearing Burn Out

Watching four boys under four is really starting to wear on me...just a little. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I love watching them. It's wonderful to be able to provide reasonable child care service for their parents while at the same time help me be able to stay home with my son. It's a win-win situation.

But (there's always a but, right?) I'm getting a little tired. I feel like I'm about to reach my breaking point. I'm sure everyone goes through this with their job, but I can't take a sick day from mine.

The one wearing me down the most is the 5 month old. He is either really good or really whinny. Crying I can take, but whinnying really starts to wear on a person. He also spits up his food about every other day. And when I say spit up, I mean throw up the entire meal he just ate! It gets all over me, the couch, the floor, his face and clothes, and his burp cloth. But I never know what feeding his is going to do this after. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. I've told him mom, but she doesn't seem concerned. I just hope he grows out of it soon!!!

Btw, I'm really not a baby person to begin with. I love holding them and having them fall asleep on my shoulder, but you can't play with them. You can't sit down on the floor and get out the toys together. You can't run around the house chasing them. You can't put puzzles together, make shapes with playdough, color pictures, or watch Sesame Street with them. They just aren't as fun to watch compared to the older boys.

Oh...by the time the baby will be old enough to do some of the things I listed above, I'll have a new little one. One of my moms is pregnant and due this Christmas. So by next year I will have a new born, 8 month old, 2 year old, and two 3 year old's (one being my son who will be turning 4 in March). I'm not looking forward to having all of those children (excluding my own), but their mom's need me and I like being a dependable person for them. I just need a vacation...and soon!!!

9
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Some how you need to let the moms know that you need a day off here and there. If you don't get some free time you are going to burn out for sure. I know that you are trying to help these mothers out but you need some space of your own. See what you can do to work it out.

The little one that is spitting up probably has a week stomach valve. Try feeding him smaller amounts of food if you can. My sister had a baby with this problem and he finally grew out of it, but it was messy till then. Good luck.

October 15, 2005 3:35 AM

 
Blogger lazylol said...

Hi - I'm from Michele's - I thought I would stop by after reading your banana comment.
You sound busy busy busy - I could not cope with 4 kids let alone 5! I agree, you need to take some days off. I hope you don't work everyday? If it really is getting you to breaking point - maybe you need to reduce the amount of kids you look after. Is that a possiblity for you? How old is your own child?

October 15, 2005 7:42 AM

 
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

The difference between what you do and what other mothers do is that with moms, our kids grow up so quickly they don't seem to be baby's long enough, but with you as soon as one is no longer a baby, you have another one coming. That would be difficult. I think you do need to take a little vacation.

October 15, 2005 8:49 AM

 
Blogger G said...

The Moms shouldn't mind giving you a well deserved, long overdue vacation. Even if it is only a small one... maybe a four day weekend.

You should just pick a time and let them know they'll need to find alternate care for a couple of days.

You don't even have to tell them the details unless you want to. Either way, they will understand and cooperate.

How can they expect continued top quality child care at such reasonable prices if the sitter gets burnt out?

Lastly, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT feel guilty in the slightest about your time off request, but rather enjoy every moment of the hard earned break!

GO HONEY...YOU CAN DOOO EEET!!!

October 15, 2005 8:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't these moms take any time off, surely they must have vacations themselves, you just need to make sure they have them at the same time;)
hope you enjoy your weekend and have some down time, sounds like you need it.

October 15, 2005 10:07 AM

 
Blogger Jennboree said...

ghraper - TOO FUNNY. I love Geico commercials, especially that one :)

Hats (and bibs) off to you, Trin. I couldn't imagine watching that many of other people's children!

It probably surprises some people that a 5 month old can wear on you most, but it is so true! I agree he probably needs to be fed smaller meals and more frequently. He could have reflux. Either way, he'll grow out of it in the next few months.

October 15, 2005 12:19 PM

 
Blogger A Woman From Illinois said...

Trin,
I admire you. Any person you has the patience to watch that many little ones, is a saint. I need a day off from my boring secretary job.
SO I KNOW YOU MUST NEED ON!!!!

You are entitled!! PLEASE ask for one SOON!!! And NO GUILT TRIP!!

October 15, 2005 2:55 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I'll def try feeding him less Lucy...thanks!

I work 5 days a week from 7:30-5:30 with two of them Choccycherry. The other I usually watch 3 days out of the week from 8-4. I should reduce the amount of kids I watch, but their mom's need me (and my hubby and I need the money). My own child is three.

I think a vacation will be coming in December TC...I can't wait (but unfortunately it's not at the same time as my hubby's).

A four day weekend would be nice G.

That's just it BSTS, they never have vacations at the same time!

I can't wait till the next few months are over Jenn!!!

Thank you for the uplifting words WfI!

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and advice! They mean a lot to me.

October 15, 2005 11:56 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

I definitely think you should set aside some 'you' time.

Unless it would be a financial burden to do it, you should just give your moms a month notice or so to find alternative childcare for a week. That is the way that most in-home childcare providers that I've known do it.

You aren't the Energizer Bunny. You need to recharge. I know the moms need you, but I think you will ultimately offer better service by taking some time off (like I said, if it is feasible to y'all).

October 17, 2005 12:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home