Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Dodgeball

I was reading an article about Clay Aiken today and it talked about how he was a nerd in school who was always one of the first targets in dodgeball. It flooded back many memories for me since I was the same way. I always hated playing dodgeball since I was the easy fat target. My small group of friends and I would hide in the corners of the gym till we were made to move. The stupid gym teacher never let us kids stay in one spot to long. We always had to keep moving, but tried to keep the attention off of us.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Did you ever play dodgeball in school? Remember how there were usually three athletic guys or maybe a tomgirl who always took turns at being the winner? That is how is was in my school, until one day.

It was a typical round of dodgeball of me hiding in the corners. I was usually targeted around the beginning of the game, but not this day. I was doing a great job of avoiding the athletic boys that day by standing behind my friends. They were knocked off one by one by having the most popular and cute boy in the class throw a ball hard at them. All of a sudden it was just me and him. Don't ask me how that happened, I really don't know. I was scared poopless. I was glued to the wall as he was pacing around in the throwing circle. Here comes the slow-mo part. He throws the ball as my knees go weak and I fall to the ground. BUT, I catch the ball!!!

If you know anything about the game, you know that if you catch the ball, the person who throws it is out of the game. I caught the ball, but it took me a second to realize that I won! I was so shocked! Happy, but shocked. It was surreal! It is one of my favorite elementary memories because it was the only game I ever won in gym.

Do you have any special gym memories? Is it stupid that this is one of my fav school memories? Let me know what ya think. Dodgeball is grand people!

4
Blogger Pete said...

First of all, I loved to play dodgeball. I was very good at it. I won several times, and was always in the running. But, I will say that I never gunned at the unathletic people. I got the most joy from knocking out the popular kids. :->

My best gym memory was actually in 10th grade. One day we were playing basketball in gym. The coach just gave us a rack of balls and let us just shoot around. Well, I was playing with some good people and I COULD NOT MISS. I was hitting from everywhere on the floor. I have never played better before or since.

Well, after our game, this kid that I was rivals with (Andrew Langwasser) was bragging about his basketball shot. One of the school's basketball players who was shooting with us said that he would take me in a shootout over Andrew. A wager was made and a shootout commenced.

I won one of the best basketball players in the city league $10.00.

I could never do it again.

November 30, 2004 9:26 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

That is a great memory! Thanks for sharing.

November 30, 2004 9:31 AM

 
Blogger loelsh said...

Mine is pretty lame, but my favorite gym memory is from 9th grade. We did a lot of exercising and one day we had to run a mile around the football field. I was in the best shape of my life at that time (after being fat my whole life, I dropped a bunch of weight and worked out religiously). We were to run as far as we could and we could walk if we needed a break, but we had to finish the mile. Well I jogged the entire mile without stopping once and came in 2nd only seconds behind my friend Danielle who I jogged with the whole way. I passed all these athletic and popular girls who were skinny and in shape their whole lives and they were stopping and walking. I felt so good about myself. I told you it was lame! Ooo, you ran a mile. Whipty friggin' do! But I'd never ran an entire mile before, and I may never again, so, it was a major accomplishment for me.

November 30, 2004 10:14 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Running a mile is a big deal to me! I have only done it once or twice in my life too.

Great story! Thanks.

November 30, 2004 11:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home