Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

TMJ

Ever since she has been little, my mom has been able to pop and crack her jaw. She also used to grind her teeth and get headaches because of it. She would have a lot of jaw pain, but she finally asked her dentist about it last year. He told her that she has a TMJ disorder and that she needs to wear a special mouth guard to help fix the problem. She is supposed to where it all the time, do mouth exercises, and not chew gum unless she feels like dealing with a major headache. Sounds like fun, huh?!

Well ever since I was a kid, I had been able to chew the same piece of gum all day...we're talking at least 12 hours of chewin. I would take it out to eat and then pop it right back in (gross, I know). But I have not been able to do this the past few months. My jaw gets tired after 20 minutes of chewing gum...and I hate it! I love chewing things and gum has always helped with whatever diet I was on. But now I can't chew it without pain (plus, my jaw loves to pop just as my mom's does)! So I'm thinking I have a TMJ disorder as well.

Ahhhh, like mother, like daughter!

9
Blogger Pete said...

Are you planning to see a doctor? I don't know much about it, but maybe if you get treatment early on, it won't be as bad as your mom's.

January 31, 2006 2:19 PM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Ouch! Jaw cracking cringes me!

January 31, 2006 3:44 PM

 
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Oooh! Isn't that painful? Do you hear the popping too?
By the way, I have tagged you.

January 31, 2006 7:55 PM

 
Blogger Jana said...

My mom also has TMJ. I'm hoping I don't get it as well. Sometimes my jaw gets stuck open - does that happen to your mom or you?

January 31, 2006 10:49 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Is there anything you can do to prevent TMJ?

January 31, 2006 10:49 PM

 
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

i got my first nightguard or chewguard about five years ago and life has been so much better.

i was first given one that went over my front top teeth, but it didn't quite work out. i was then given another that was similar to a football mouth piece. it is soft on the inside, but hard on the bottom. now i can't sleep without it

February 01, 2006 8:34 AM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

Sounds very painful! Can't imagine how you will enjoy eating. Thanks for sharing that info on TMJ. Am not familiar with it cause I don't know anyone who has it.

February 01, 2006 9:07 AM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

Btw, what's the full name of TMJ?

February 01, 2006 9:08 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Prob not Guru...but I might ask my dentist about it.

She seems to be doing better PJ, thanks!

Uhhhh, yes Arm...sounds like you need that checked out!

Same here Capt!!!

Can be FC, and yes, I hear the popping.

With both of us Jana. Sounds like you might have to get that checked out soon!

I don't know Barbara...maybe not talk as much? Heehee!!!

Hmmmm, I might have to ask about that BoN! Thanks!!!

Eating is fine, it's chewing gum Viamarie. And the full name is Temporo-Mandibular Joint.

February 01, 2006 11:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home