Life is Grand!!!

Friday, February 03, 2006

Hmmmm...

Since my son's fourth birthday is a month away, I have been thinking about what my hubby and I should put together for him. I have already chosen a theme, but I'm still not sure where we should have it.

On one hand, we can have it here at our house. The party could be in the evening and we would have to buy and prepare a lot of food for all the people we would invite. I have several things in mind for the kids to do, but the adults would probably be bored. It would take a lot of planning and effort on my part, but more people would be able to attend.

On the other hand, I have a place picked out to have a party. They would take care of preparing the food, which I would need to purchase, but the price is pretty reasonable. And I could possibly only buy for the kids if we go there. There is also entertainment for everyone (specific entertainment can not be determined till the week before the party), but we would need to be there by noon. That means that less people could come (ex: my parents) since it's not in the evening, but the place is a lot bigger than our home.

So I'm stuck. I need to make a decision soon since the invites need to be the mail next week. I'm a major planner, so not being able to decide is driving me nuts! And I'm getting mixed feedback from the people I do ask. My parents want it at the house (they love my party ideas for the house and they could come if it's here), but my hubby thinks it might be better to go to the entertainment place since it's less work and possibly less money out of pocket.

I just want to have a party that will please the most people. So what would you do in my position?

14
Blogger Nic said...

Sweet Trinity, what kind of party would your SON want? Thats the question to ask. Whatever you do, I'm sure you son will have a ball.

Usually here on my own but today through Michele's.

February 03, 2006 11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Nic. Do what's best for you and your son.

My son's 13th is the 9th. Not sure how we are going to celebrate it.

February 03, 2006 12:05 PM

 
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

McDonalds!

;-)

February 03, 2006 1:33 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

First of all you can't make EVERYONE happy. The only one I'd worry about is your son. What would make him happy?

February 03, 2006 2:38 PM

 
Blogger Chrixean said...

That is my dilemma too actually. It's Nicky's birthday next month as well, and it's a big deal to people over here because the 7th birthday has to be a really BIG celebration. But i think i'd go with the party at a venue other than your house. Less work, less stress, more time to focus on the little details that will win your child's heart -- at the end of the day, the time to enjoy the party with your kid would outweigh the money saved.

February 03, 2006 10:16 PM

 
Blogger kenju said...

Why not have two celebrations? Do one away from home for friends and kids, and another at home later for family.

Michele sent me.

February 03, 2006 10:18 PM

 
Blogger YellowRose said...

Ok, you asked...My kids are now 17 and 20 so I've done the party thing many times over. I also have been planning parties for years for family and friends.

First, what do you want to do? What does you son want? That is what is the most important thing. It's his birthday and it's his day that he will remember. Also, at the age your son is, you don't have to go "BIG" at least not yet. ;) Do one or two things that stand out, like rent a bouncy house or have a clown come....something different. But whatever you do, do it for him and don't worry about pleasing everyone on the guest list...they will be happy no matter what you choose to do, because after all, it's all about your son!

Hope this helps alittle!!

Michele sent me your way to give you my 2 cents worth! ;)

February 03, 2006 10:28 PM

 
Blogger M. C. Pearson said...

I agree with nic...what do you think your son wants? I bet a pinata is in his head! :) Don't worry about the adults...this is your son's party. Play pin the tail on the donkey, musical chairs, and give prizes. The pinata is always a blast as a last big event before everyone goes home. (Just make sure the kids stay in line and away from the swinging stick!)

Have fun! (My son's 5th birthday is in 4 days!)

February 04, 2006 12:10 AM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

I would prefer not to hold a party. A trip to a place he has never been will be a better way to celebrate. He will surely enjoy the the ride, the new places and things he will encounter.

Have a great weekend!

February 04, 2006 1:37 AM

 
Blogger Bud said...

My memories have always started late into my fourth year. Most people I talk to are amazed i can remember back that far. I have no recollection of any birthday parties. I think such parties for kids that young are actually for the adults as they will remember. Your four yeear old will have fun getting attention no matter where you do it. But there is a high probability he won't remember the details. Adults who got left out will remember being left out. Tread carefully here.

February 04, 2006 6:09 AM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

hmmm, I've only ever done house parties but that's because it was way cheaper than somewhere else. But I usually tend to do whatever is less work and cheaper :)

Maybe have it at home but go easy on food and such so it is not so expensieve. I've always had my parties between meals so I only provide snacks instead of meals.

Or, if the weather is right, BBQ's are great and cheap if you stick with the basics!

February 04, 2006 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Kenju - two celebrations.

February 05, 2006 9:52 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks for all your advice everyone! I think we might just have to have two parties...one for the relatives with kids, and one for the older crowd.

February 06, 2006 10:14 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks for your input Becky!

February 08, 2006 2:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home