Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Night Out

Every year my parents take me out for my birthday. I get to pick out where we are eating (no matter what the cost), and if there's time, a movie. It's one of my favorite traditions and my parents have it with my siblings as well. My brother and sister usually choose a really expensive restaurant and then they get the steak. They def take advantage of the free night!

I, on the other hand, am not like that. Last night I wanted to see a movie at the cheapo theater. To do that, we needed to eat someplace fast, so I picked out a buffet. My mom just about had a cow! She couldn't believe I wanted an Asian food buffet for my birthday dinner. She asked me why I wouldn't want a steak place. I told her that those places are too expensive and that most of the time I don't even get a steak when I go there...and it would be something quick. Well she wasn't happy, but she went along with it.

Here's the thing...even if I chose a more expensive restaurant, I would have ended up ordering the cheapest thing on the menu (with a water to drink of course). It's just what I do. I don't like spending a lot of money on myself, no matter what the occasion. It's just not in my nature. My hubby even told me that I pinch pennies so hard that boogers come out of Lincoln's nose!

So last night was a great night for me. We went to a really yummy restaurant and then saw a good, cheap movie (that my parents hated, but that's another blog post). It wasn't too much money out of my parent's pocket, so I didn't feel guilty afterwards. And I think the most important thing was being able to spend time with them...even though they complained! Heehee!!!

(Btw, thanks again Loelsh and Guru for watching the boy!)

11
Blogger Oh great One said...

I don't like to spend money on myself either I totally get that, however once in a while you need to pamper yourself. It's taken me a long time to learn that but I swear it's true!

BTW the Lincoln booger comment is too funny!

February 07, 2006 2:48 PM

 
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

It's nice to have what you want.

February 07, 2006 3:15 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

i hate asian food buffets.

i am not jealous of your birthday dinner AT ALL. yech!

February 07, 2006 9:01 PM

 
Blogger Leslie said...

I am like that too! I can't justify $3 for a drink when water is free or $20 for steak when I can buy a few at the store for that. I am weird I know.

February 07, 2006 9:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a hard time spending money on myself too, but it's nice that your parents do that for you. can't wait for that movie review.

February 07, 2006 10:00 PM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

A very touching tradition that must really be passed on to next generation.

Belated Happy Birthday!

February 08, 2006 6:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame that your parents didn't enjoy yourself. My mother and I just went to an asian buffet to celebrate Valinetines day together it was fun.


Happy birthday young lady!

February 08, 2006 8:29 AM

 
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Though not comfortable with someone spending so much on you, I think it is a very warm and nice tradition.

February 08, 2006 11:23 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Maybe someday I'll be comfortable with it OGO. Untill then, I'll be wiping the boogers off my pennies!

I have Plumkrazzee...love them!

Oh yes Capt!!!

I don't care for restaurant steak PJ. Give me my pork chops and applesauce! Heehee!!!

I don't care for Asian food Amanda Sue, unless it's a buffet. I'm weird like that. :-)

I get water everywhere we go Leslie. You know how much money we save a year with me doing that? So you are not weird at all!!!

It's a great tradition BSTS.

Right Becky...I hate feeling guilty!

We have so far Viamarie!

That's what they get for taking me out Day...heehee!

Oh yes FC, it's a wonderful tradition.

February 08, 2006 4:06 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Bday to you! sounds like a great night if you ask me!

February 12, 2006 12:53 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks MrsG!

February 13, 2006 9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home