Life is Grand!!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Overtime

With the red head's mom being out of town this past week, I've had the boys longer. Their dad drops them off at 7am (15 minutes earlier than their mom does) and doesn't get back over here to pick them up till about 6:30. Last Friday he didn't get here till 7:15...so I had the boys in my home for over 12 hours!!! Now I understand that his schedule is different and that he works more hours, but I don't see any more compensation for keeping the boys longer.

Don't get me wrong, I think they pay me plenty, but my hubby is constantly telling me to ask for a raise. He thinks that I'm not getting paid for what I'm worth...and would love for me to be making at least $10 more a day. But I don't watch them for a large paycheck. I do it to be able to make a little money while staying home while helping our another family with their childcare needs.

But I'm starting to think that when I'm required to keep them an additional 1-2 hours during the day, that I should ask for some extra compensation. Keeping them longer cuts into our family time and our dinner, so do you think it would be wrong of me to ask for overtime pay? I don't want to appear selfish, but having them 12 hours is a long time! I love the boys very much, but I love my free and family time as well.

I'm think that if I have the boys more than 45 hours a week (or more than 11 hours a day) that I should get a little bit of overtime pay...do you agree or disagree? Am I asking too much? If you were their parents and I asked for a little more pay, would you think I was being selfish?

13
Blogger amelia said...

Most definitely ask! If he were taking them to a daycare he would be paying quite a bit extra, usually for every half hour they are there after 6 pm! Your time and your family's time is worth it. It's not selfish.

June 14, 2006 8:27 AM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

No, I don't think your asking too much. You have the right to ask for additional. If you don't, it might be an addtional 30 minutes or an hour next time and so on.

Goodluck!

June 14, 2006 9:14 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I think so! Childcare is so frustrating and time consuming especially when it cuts into your family time. Bless you for helping them, I would not have the patience! I used to think I could do that but when I realized how much I would be tied down I changed my mind. And that was when I was much younger! Now I REALLY cant do it. I kept my older daughter's 3 kids while they moved a year ago. One week turned into nearly a month. I was about to climb the walls! Babysitting ain't pretty!!

June 14, 2006 9:57 AM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

You deserve more pay if you are keeping them longer than usual. The amount you get paid was based on the usual hours right? That is a LONG time to keep someone elses kids, especially when you are pregnant!

June 14, 2006 10:15 AM

 
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I don't think you're being selfish. Just like any office work, extra hours are paid overtime. The difference is that your work is done at home. I think you need to ask a raise in pay. Your hubby is right. Amelia is right. If he brings his kid to a daycare center, he would be paying more than he's paying you. That would also teach him to pick up his kid on time to enable you to have time with your family.

June 14, 2006 10:17 AM

 
Blogger Jennboree said...

I think you should ask for more. You are obviously not asking daycare prices to begin with and you don't want to feel taken advantage of with those extra hours adding up over time, especially since it does cut into what should be YOUR family time.

I agree that it is especially difficult to keep kids longer when you're pregnant! It certainly won't get any easier as your pregnancy progresses.

June 14, 2006 11:37 AM

 
Blogger Shannon said...

as a day care mom, that takes care of her nephew for 13 hours a day, I can relate.
I did give my SIL and break in rate but for off the street? have a contract for 8 hours, then more money for more hours. They would expect the same if it were their jobs.

June 14, 2006 1:21 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Yeah, you have to charge more. That is crazy. What are they going to do, go somewhere else? Not for what they pay you and 12 hours at a daycare is rediculous. They start charging you an arm and a leg every 30 minutes you are late. Imagine if you did that!

June 14, 2006 4:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel anything over 8 hours a day you should get a little more.

Thanks for the cake! It's the only one I got!

June 14, 2006 6:20 PM

 
Blogger Jake Silver said...

Ask for what you want. When my wife was doing regular childcare... it's so easy to get taken advantage of! Don't let it happen!

June 14, 2006 10:21 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

I couldn't agree more that you have every right to charge more if they stay longer. It prevents you from being able to resume your personal life with your family, and that's "worth" something too. Plus, I would guarantee that you're still far cheaper than a day care center.

June 15, 2006 12:21 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Look at it this way, if they were going to another daycare they would be required to pay for the extra time. Honestly, they should have offered it to you. I would say if they do not offer to compensate you when mommy gets home, I think you should ask. You have every right!!!

June 16, 2006 12:02 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I know I should ask everyone, but when it comes down to it...I won't. I just don't have the guts to ask for more money.

But thanks for all your input!!!

June 21, 2006 11:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home