Life is Grand!!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pool Pity Party

With my husband being a resident manager, it's our responsibility to close the pool every night. Since I love the exercise and the fresh air, I like to go and take care of the pool myself. After I help my hubby put our son down for bed, I head out. The pool is supposed to be closed at 10pm, but most nights I get there about 10:30. I like getting there a little late so that, hopefully, there won't be any more residents in the pool area...it will give them just a little bit more time to gather their things and get out.

Well, the past few times I've closed the pool, I've had to kick out residents. Last week I had to throw out about 6 guys, three nights ago it was a family of three, and last night it was about a dozen residents. Most of them didn't realize the pool was closed, or that the pool even closed at all. After I told one of the guys last night that I was closing the pool, he asked me if the pool was supposed to be open 24/7. If only he looked at the big sign, posted at the pool entrance, before he came in...he would then know that the pool is open from 10am-10pm (and that alcohol is not allowed in the pool area and that you need to wear swimsuits in the pool and not street clothes).

Not only do people not understand the pool rules, but they misuse pool life saving devices. I can't tell you how many times I've had to get the ring buoy out of the pool since some kid was using it.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And the rescue hook is broken from people throwing it around.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Also, I've caught a couple of guys using the spinal board as a diving board.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

These items need to be accessible in the pool area (in case of an emergency), but people are constantly taking them and misusing them. I find them in the pool and sometimes stuck in the mulch or bushes. But that's not the only things the residents mess up. Every night my hubby and I have to straighten up the chairs and tables, but it can be hard some nights since occasionally they are at the bottom of the pool. And then there are the times that we know a group of people have climbed the locked fence after the pool is closed. When you straighten up chairs before closing the pool, and they are messed up at 10am when you open, you know someone has been inside.

We have told all of this to the people in the office, but nothing has been done yet. I would love to have a flyer made up about being the proper treatment in and around the pool...but I don't know if it will do any good. I could go and check out the pool a couple of times during the day, but why should I have to? Why can't people just respect pool property? And I wish that we could possibly just close the pool when it's misused, but I don't want to punish the people who actually take care of it or who use the pool rules.

What do you think should be done?

11
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

start off by giving those residents in the pool a round-house kick to the face.

July 18, 2006 11:17 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Good Chuch Norris thinking there BoN!

July 18, 2006 11:20 AM

 
Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

People can be very inconsiderate sometime.

July 18, 2006 12:41 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

The problem is that these people have figured out that there isn't really anything that can be done to them.

The only possible deterrent is for the pool to get checked up on during the day and maybe if there are offenders, they get punished. I'm no lawyer, but even then, charging them or something would have to be put into their lease somehow in order to fine offenders.

If it was a perfect world, I'd say... immediate eviction! Too bad I don't run the world.

July 18, 2006 1:57 PM

 
Blogger Warm Fuzzies said...

I say open up a good old fashioned can of whoop a**! You and your husband must be so mad! That is just a load of disrespect. I think closing the pool for a week would be a good deterrant, and would hopefully give them the hint. That way, if somebody breaks into the pool at night, you can call the boys in blue, and they can round them up. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

July 18, 2006 2:14 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

They have no reason to change their ways. Unfortunately unless you have someone staffed to keep an eye on it you won't be able to do anything.

July 18, 2006 2:16 PM

 
Blogger Jennboree said...

Unfortunately, many people do not respect property they don't own.

I don't think you should change anything about what you're doing. You've reported it to the office and it is their problem, not yours. The flyer suggestion is a good one, but not your responsibility to handle.

Sorry for the headache!

July 18, 2006 5:43 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

First thing I would do is check with a lawyer on whether you guys are personally liable if anyone gets hurt in the pool (even if after hours or using equipment they aren't supposed to). In this day and age of civil suits, that would make me real nervous.

July 18, 2006 7:55 PM

 
Blogger Chrixean said...

Being that i am in the marketing / advertising business, I would recommend that whoever is in charge of managing the pool (will that be your husband, or is there like a pool director or marketing head or something?) should put up a series of posters / streamers "reminding" people that the pool is for everyone's enjoyment and that the only way they can keep on enjoying it is to cooperate in maintaining the equipment and by following rules. Sometimes people just need to see these "rules" screaming in their faces before they actually react to them.

July 19, 2006 6:50 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, get that office staff involved!

July 22, 2006 11:24 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

I hear ya TC!

G does check it during the day Guru, so it's mostly the weekends that we have the problems.

I would love the close the pool for a week Warm Fuzzies, but that's not up to me...it's up to the people who work in the properties office.

My hubby does check it often OGO, but he can't be there all the time.

I would think people would be the opposite Jennboree...they would take better care of things that don't belong to them.

I'm sure the office has something like this stated in the lease Becky, but I had better check it out!

Things like that cost money Chrixean...so I don't see any of your great ideas being done.

I wish they would do more MrsG!!

July 25, 2006 10:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home