Life is Grand!!!

Friday, September 30, 2005

Serenity

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A few months ago I saw a trailer for the movie Serenity. My dad was with me at the time and he kept saying Firefly. I had never heard of Firefly, but yet they were making a movie out of it called...you guessed it, Serenity. The movie looked really good, especially since it was created by Joss Whedon (who also created Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel).

Fast forward to Monday night...my dad ended up buying the Firefly series (great synopsis found here) on DVD and let me borrow it to watch it this week. With only 14 episodes (it was canceled mid season), I finished watching the entire show by Thursday afternoon...it was that good!!! Firefly is a really unique scifi show in that it mixed western and Chinese themes. So, it was really neat to see (some of) the characters dressed in old west garb, carrying around pistols, and cursing in Chinese.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The show also doesn't have any aliens. It is all man vs. man conflict...and I was loving it! It was refreshing to see a space/scifi show that looks like how it could really be in 500 years...if Earth's resources are used up of course!

Like I said, I finished watching the series on Thursday (and loved it...have I mentioned that yet?!) , so I got online to check for Serenity show times. I found out that it was playing at 3 Columbus movie theaters that night! I ended up calling my sis to see if she wanted to be out with me till 2 am seeing the movie. She agreed before I even got the question out!

We both thought the movie was wonderful since it helped tie up most of the loss ends from the series. It also had fabulous visual effects! And it was neat how they completely constructed the ship so that the characters could walk the entire ship without breaking scene.

I did have one problem with something that happened near the end. It really upset me and I think it was not necessary. I'd say more, but I don't want to give anything away. I just wish I knew why such a thing was allowed!

I would def recommend this movie to just about anyone. You'll love the characters and how they can be funny/sarcastic right in the middle of a fight. Even if you're not a scifi lover (or have seen the Firefly series), I think you would still enjoy the movie. And if you do end up seeing the movie, you should def pee before hand since you won't want to miss a minute!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

6
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Firefly sounds really unusual. Thanks for that great review.

October 01, 2005 10:38 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Sounds interesting. I'd want to check out the show before I saw the movie, though.

October 01, 2005 12:59 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

You wouldn't need to, but I still have the series if you want to borrow.

October 01, 2005 1:01 PM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Perhaps I will. But, I don't know that I'd get to watch all of it before it would need to get back to your dad. Maybe I'll wait until it hit the library and get it and take my time.

October 01, 2005 1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it does sound like an unusual mixture, it's almost hard to tell by looking at the photos what year it's even set in.

October 01, 2005 4:39 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

You should def go see it BSTS!

The man vs man conflict is why I think my hubby would actually enjoy this movie Becky. He is not a scifi fan, but I think he might just be entertained with Serenity!

October 05, 2005 12:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home