Life is Grand!!!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Warning: Prego Rant!

I spent most of the evening last night at my parent's church...it's where the fundraising banquet was held. Well, when it was time to go, my mom and I started talking. Then another lady joined us that I had never met before. My mom introduced me while touching my shoulder, and then my belly roomy by touching my belly. Then this person, I had just met, proceeds to touch my belly as well! Hello, what was she thinking? For one, I had just met her...for two, why would you think it's okay to touch another person's belly just because they are pregnant? I just don't understand this.

Maybe my hormones are just out of wack...but I value my personal space. I really don't think it's appropriate to just touch a prego belly...without asking at least! And I almost had a problem with my mom touching me. But since she's my mom, she's excusable...unlike this other lady!!!

I should get this shirt to warn people...or even this shirt.

So what do you think? You think I'm getting too upset from just one little belly touch from a stranger? Would you allow it if you were prego (yes men, you can answer that one as well!)? Should I get one of those t-shirts? Do I need to be on medication? :-)

16
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are allowing something small to build up resentments. It is human nature for women to want to be close to babies and mother hood. It's best just to let it go.

ANd no the shirt is not a good idea.

May 03, 2006 9:08 AM

 
Blogger Viamarie said...

You don't need medications. Pregnant women can be sensitive and you'll get over it soon.

Take Care!

May 03, 2006 9:38 AM

 
Blogger Pete said...

Man, I feel low on advice on this topic. I definitely understand not wanting to have people touch your stomach, because I'm not a fan of people really touching my tummy either (but for different reasons!).

There do seem to be some different societal rules for pregnant people and new mothers. People ask all sorts of questions that they never would normally ask.

Even asking to touch your tummy is weird. I never stop a lady on the street and ask to touch her tummy or how she feeds her kids or any of that, but those sorts of nosy questions are "okay" for mothers.

Sorry, I guess I have no answers here, only comments and observations. I shouldn't even submit these up here, but writing all of this was a lot of work, so here I go...

May 03, 2006 9:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would prefer for someone to ask me, but if they don't I undertsand. It makes me feel special that people are so in awe of my pregnant belly...I'd say, take it as a compliment. And don't worry, it really won't happen very much. I think, it happened once to me. The rest, people have asked and I always give them the go-ahead.

May 03, 2006 11:21 AM

 
Blogger BagOfNothing.com said...

this post would make a good Seinfeld episode.

i agree, no one should touch your belly

May 03, 2006 12:01 PM

 
Blogger amelia said...

I'm completely with you on this one! I hated that when I was pregnant. People should most definitely respect you and ask first. I want one of those shirts!! You're not crazy!

May 03, 2006 2:34 PM

 
Blogger Oh great One said...

I gotta back you up on the belly thing. I hate that people think a pregnant belly is community property! What's up with that?! If a person asked me first I was much more receptive. You wouldn't just go up to a stranger and start rubbing their unpregnant belly so why is it any different for a pregnant belly?

Oh yeah, you hit a nerve with this one!

May 03, 2006 2:38 PM

 
Blogger Norma said...

Yup. The hormones. It's like pinching the baby's cheeks, but with a little bit of separation. You don't even count! You'll soon have bigger problems to slay.

May 03, 2006 7:02 PM

 
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Preggy or not, I don't anyone touching my belly.

May 03, 2006 8:49 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The whole touching my pregnant belly thing freaked me out. I am not a touchy person, especially when it came to my belly. When someone did this I would smile politely and take a couple of steps back.

May 03, 2006 8:51 PM

 
Blogger Becky said...

Oh, I'm so with you on this one. I'm definitely one that has a huge area of personal space in that I don't even hug people (even my family). I would NEVER touch a woman's stomach!

May 04, 2006 12:06 AM

 
Blogger One Scrappy Gal said...

Oh my!

No one tried to touch my pregnant belly when I was carrying the kids... but I think it might be because I'm small but I look like I'll bite!

Seriously, you're feelings are justified!! I don't understand this urge people have to touch a belly that's not theirs!

May 04, 2006 9:44 AM

 
Blogger Jen said...

I didn't mind the belly touching too much. After giving birth to Anya before I was properly showing, I was really glad to have a belly with the others :-)

I do get weirded out by people touching my baby, though. That makes me INSANE! So, I can relate, just in a little different way.

May 04, 2006 8:04 PM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

To me Day, it's not a small thing. It's my body and I don't like others just touching me because I'm pregnant...that's all.

I don't like I'm being sensitive about this Viamarie. Like I said, it's my body and what gives a person the right to just touch me cause I'm prego???

Good for you Guru...no touching prego bellies!!!

That's just it Faith...she didn't even ask and I just met her! Just doesn't make sense to me is all.

Aww, thanks Bag! :-)

Thanks Amelia...I almost thought I was alone of this for a while! And aren't those shirts cute?! Good for a laugh anyway!!!

So true OGO!!! Thanks for the input...I really appreciate it...esp since you agree with me! :-)

I know Norma, but I just don't like it.

Good for you FC!!!

I should do the same DW! I don't like being touched much.

Glad to hear it Becky...I don't think it's ever right to tough a person's belly without asking at least!

Thanks for agreeing Aileen! Glad no one had the urge to tough your prego belly!

May 10, 2006 8:32 AM

 
Blogger Trinity13 said...

Thanks for the comment Jen...and for relating! :-)

May 10, 2006 8:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is funny because I just told my mom a few weeks ago (my sister in law is like 9 1/2 months pregnant)... She touches her belly and then gets right down there and says stuff like "Hi baby -grandma loves you!" Now to most people - it might be cute. I just finally told her.. "I'm just warning you. If I ever get pregnant and you do that to me - I will slap you senselss." I'm serious too. I think that's so rude to just touch people - I don't care where. I don't even like strangers touching my shoulder. There is a sense of personal space when you're pregnant too and I don't want mine invaded.. thank you...

June 27, 2006 1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home